Curating your skincare and makeup arsenal goes far beyond just picking products in pretty hues with a divine aroma. One must get into the nitty gritties of a formulation before investing in one – and skin type, skin concerns, and product formulation are the most vital deciding factors. If you’re feeling overwhelmed about identifying the correct products for your skin, here’s a guide to help you make the right choice.
Determining Your Skin Type
First and foremost, you must identify your skin type since picking incorrect formulations can adversely impact the health of your skin. People with sensitive or acne-prone skin must be particularly cautious when shopping for products since such skin types can react aggressively to ill-suited ingredients.
While oily and acne-prone skin types should opt for lightweight, non-comedogenic, and non-acnegenic formulations, dry skin types should reach for hydrating products that lend a healthy dose of moisture. Meanwhile, those with sensitive skin should look for products that do not contain parabens, sulphates, alcohol, synthetic dyes, and fragrances.
Ingredients to Look For Based on Your Skin Type
While particular ingredients may work for your skin, they don’t have to work for other skin types. To learn more about the components best suited for your skin, read below:
- Oily Skin: Cosmetics containing salicylic acid, hyaluronic acid, glycolic acid, and benzoyl peroxide will work best for oily skin types. While hyaluronic acid can help retain moisture in your skin, the other acids will regulate sebum production.
- Dry Skin: Cosmetics containing ultra-moisturising ingredients, including shea butter, avocado oil, coconut oil, glycerin, and hyaluronic acid, are ideal for dry skin types. Dehydrated skin craves a hefty dose of nourishment to keep the skin looking radiant.
- Sensitive Skin: Ingredients such as aloe vera, shea butter, and oatmeal are safe for sensitive skin types that may react poorly to harsher counterparts.
Ingredients to Avoid Based on Your Skin Type
While all skin types should avoid using formulations boasting the following ingredients, those who possess sensitive skin should be particularly careful.
- Parabens: The primary purpose of adding this element to cosmetics is to prevent bacterial growth. The prolonged usage of products containing parabens can impact your hormonal balance.
- Fragrances: Artificial fragrances can cause allergies and skin irritation and must be avoided by those with sensitive skin.
- Sulphates: You’d often spot this cleansing ingredient in body washes and shampoos. While sulphates help products lather, they can strip your skin of natural oils and cause dryness and irritation.
- Formaldehyde: A known carcinogen, while formaldehyde is not spotted in many formulations today, it has been associated with certain types of cancer and should be avoided at all costs.
Ingredients to Look Out For in Formulations
- Niacinamide (Vitamin B3): Niacinamide helps even out your skin tone and texture and regulates sebum production.
- Glycerine: Safe for all skin types, glycerine is a superior moisturising element that helps keep your skin smooth and supple.
- Retinol (Vitamin A): Retinol helps facilitate skin cell turnover and boost collagen production.
- Hyaluronic Acid: Hyaluronic acid and ceramides are super-hydrating ingredients that can help strengthen your epidermal barrier.
- L-Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C): This antioxidant helps fight free radical damage, brighten your complexion, stimulate collagen production, and reverse damage from sun exposure.
- Tocopherol (Vitamin E): Vitamin E is an anti-inflammatory component that helps address UV damage.
Things to Bear in Mind When Shopping For Cosmetics
1. Don’t Buy Into the Packaging, Popularity, or Price Point
You may feel compelled to buy into the hype of a product or give the latest beauty trend a fair shot. However, doing so can do irreparable damage to your skin. Before purchasing a formulation based on its stellar packaging, reviews, or seemingly reasonable price point, glance through the label and ingredient list to know what you’ll be putting on your face. Also, consider doing a patch test on your wrist before applying the product to your face to avoid allergic reactions.
2. Pay Attention to the Order of Ingredients
Ingredients are often listed depending on their proportion in a formulation; those in the highest concentration will be called out first, and vice versa. Check out the first five ingredients on the label since they constitute approximately 80% of the product’s makeup. So, if the product label features an ingredient you want to avoid, ensure that it isn’t one of the first five ingredients. Meanwhile, if an ingredient you’re looking for isn’t falling within the first five on the label, chances are, the product isn’t worth your money. Don’t get overwhelmed when you come across a long ingredient list. If you’re unsure whether a product is suited to your skin type, consider consulting a professional with more information.
3. Natural Doesn’t Always Mean Better
While many claim that natural, organic ingredients are best suited for sensitive skin types, it may not be the perfect fit for your skin. Natural essential oils can cause adverse reactions, too. Besides, many brands leverage the terms ‘natural’, ‘organic’, and ‘chemical-free’ as a marketing gimmick to sell their products in the name of safety. Lastly, some products claim to be ‘organic’ when they include just one or a few natural ingredients.
From primers and bestselling lipsticks to full-coverage foundations, the New York-based brand Maybelline houses a variety of cosmetics suited to all skin types and complexions. The trick is to find the best fit for you based on your skin types, concerns, and needs.
From Passion to Profession: Aged Care and Disability Support Potential Unleashed
Discovering Busan’s Dynamic Business Environment: An Enchanting Business Journey
Discover the Comfort of Organic Hemp: Top Picks for Baby Bedding, Play Mats, and Blankets
Vinyl Siding: Durable & Stylish Exterior Materials
How Technology Can Help Your Construction Business Thrive
The Diplomatic Legacy of Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan
Unlocking the Potential: Maximizing Performance with Blogstineco Vacuums
How Often Is Cashing out small payments Done?
Body Massage Techniques and Procedure
How to Apply a Tennis Elbow Massage to Ease Pain
Comparative Analysis of All-in-One Hotel Management Software
Decoding Excellence: The 10 Best Italian Chefs of Our Time
From Virtual Reality to Smart Stadiums: The Tech Trends Transforming Sports
Revolutionise Your Business: Cash Flow and Profit Improvement Strategies
Electrical Fixes 101: A Comprehensive Handbook for Handymen
What are Important Elements That Influence Your Car Accident Claims?
Scarlxrd Net Worth 2023: Height, Age, Real Name, Career & More
Marius Lucas Antonio Listhrop, who is better known by his stage name, Scarlxrd is a 27 years old British rapper....
NBA Youngboy Net Worth: How Rich is the Rapper Actually?
NBA YoungBoy is an American rapper from Baton Rouge. He is best known for his hit songs “Win or Loses”...
Rapper Foogiano Net Worth: Height, Age, Bio, Career & More
Foogiano is an American rapper who is best known for his songs “Finesser” and “Molly (Baby Mama)”. He is currently...
JNR Choi Net Worth: Height, Age, Real Name, Career & More
JNR Choi is a Gambian rapper, model, and singer-songwriter. He is best known for his 2021 hit song, To the...
Mystikal Net Worth: How Rich is the Rapper Actually in 2023?
Mystikal is an American rapper from Louisiana. He is best known for his debut album, Mystikal released in 1994. Mystikal...
Businessman11 months ago
Brandon Fugal Net Worth: How Rich is Skinwalker Ranch Owner?
Rappers10 months ago
GloRilla Net Worth: Height, Age, Bio, Real Name & Career
Internet Stars12 months ago
Mufti Menk Net Worth: How Rich is the Islamic Speaker Actually?
TV Stars11 months ago
Carla Diab Net Worth: How Rich is the TV Star Actually in 2023?
Rappers10 months ago
BigXthaPlug Net Worth: Height, Age, Real Name & Career
TV Stars12 months ago
Kaleb Cooper Net Worth: How Rich is the TV Star Actually?
Rappers10 months ago
DD Osama Net Worth: Height, Age, Real Name, Career & More
Entrepreneur12 months ago
Sharon LaDay Net Worth: How Rich is the Investor Actually?